BridgeBuilder 2019 Challenge: Additional Resources
This resource list has been co-created alongside individuals with lived experience, topical experts and community experts to support you in crafting your submission.
Toolkits & How-to's:
Understanding Cybersecurity Resources
- Cybersecuity and Crime: Google Security Princess Parisa Tabriz and Jenny Martin from Symantec introduce the most common types of cybercrime in this video.
- Cybersecurity: How it Works: A 5 min IBM video on how cybersecurity works.
- Cybersecurity in Under 3 Minutes: Learning about CyberSimplicity in under 3 min.
- DEFCON Hacking Challenge: A 6 min hacking experiment at Defcon
- Cybersecurity Crash Course: This video gives a crash course on the basics of cybersecurity
- Can news coverage of cyber issues get past hacks and attacks?: Hewlett Foundation commissioned a study from George Washington University Professor Sean Aday to analyze news coverage from 2014 to 2017 in major news media outlets. Sean Aday, discusses the report’s key findings and their implications.
- Comics with a Serious Message: The Rise of Cartoons for Teaching Cybersecurity: Article investigating the use of comics for serious topics on cybersecurity.
- Shall I Compare Thee to a Cyber Attack?: A U.S. Army cybersecurity analyst offers a lesson in explaining the impact of a cyber attack: use better metaphors.
- Delete Yourself: Television’s conflicted, heroic hackers: An article talking about Hollywood’s reductive portrayal of Hackers.
- Can news coverage of cyber issues get past hacks and attacks?: An article on news coverage of cybersecurity, and an invitation to dive into policy.
- Covering Cyber: Media coverage of cyber issues since 2014: Media coverage of cybersecurity since 2014.
- Tech Privacy: The Funniest Hacker Stock Photos 4.0: The Future of Hacking: An overview in pictures of hacker pictures, all looking very similar.
- War on the Rocks: Cyber Officials Need Help But Are Experts Up to the Task: Article on cybersecurity policy and the gap between academics government.
- Why the U.S. Needs More Cyber Translators: A case study at the intersection between government and tech experts known as “cyber translation.”
- Musicians May be the Key to the CyberSecurity Shortage: A read on finding creative talent for the cybersecurity industry.
- Art Show at Chicago’s THOTCON 0x9 Hacker Conference: When Art intersects with Cybersecurity.
- Innovation of Diversity in CyberSecurity: An article highlighting the diversity problem in Cybersecurity: Women are always minorities.
- How Design Thinking Can Change Cybersecurity: Design Thinking solving the Cybersecurity challenges.
- Foreign Policy: In Cyber War, There are No Rules: An article outlining the need for conventions and rules in the cybersecurity world.
- The Role of Instructional Design in Persuasion:A Comics Approach for Improving Cyber Security: This article highlights comics’ role in persuading users to practice good computer security.
- Hackers Are the Real Obstacle for Self-Driving Vehicles: Case study studying the effect of hackers on self-driving cars
- Juan Andrés Guerrero-Saade, Principal Security Researcher, Recorded Future: Podcast featuring CyberSecurity Conversations.
- Ivan Arce on Hacking in Culture in Argentina: Podcast episode about the concentration of hacking talent in Argentina, and Ivan's focus on security problems in the Android ecosystem.
- Aanchal Gupta on Societal Change: Aancha shares her story and provides guidance for young women struggling to overcome societal obstacles.
- How we know Russia did it, the FBI using Best Buy, an IBM study on ransomware, and more: A podcast on political hacking from Daniel Miessler, a cybersecurity expert and author of The Real Internet of Things.
- The IoT You Got for Christmas: A podcast discussing the finer points of the internet of things.
- Targeted Threats from Facts to Fiction: A discussion on advanced threats in cybersecurity.
- Security Awareness Deep Dive: Podcast on why you shouldn’t train employees for security awareness.
- Prove to me you are Human: Discussions on authentication issues, network security, airplane security, AI, and Minecraft.